Thursday, May 14, 2009

Litter box solutions

Of all the things to write about after my hiatus, I am choosing to go with litter boxes.  Elms has developed a habit of peeing just outside the box (or in the bathtub).  Which means I've had to develop the habit of cleaning up after her every day to avoid a catastrophic cat mess... in any case, Mat suggested that we try putting just a little bit of litter (barely enough to cover the ground) in their boxes and changing that out once a week.  I have always put about a good foot of litter in there, so I scoffed a little at the suggestion, but, wouldn't you know it, Elms has taken to the change!  Mat's brother Joe, who actually suggested the litter trick, also recommends the following litter in addressing the aforementione problem: http://www.petchefreno.com/order.htm.  I've not yet tried it, but I'll be sure to report back once I do -

1 comment:

Joe said...

According to the person that suggested it to me, not only do cats seem to enjoy "less" in the box, it lets you do full swapouts of the older crustier litter in the box more often, which is where the smell of urine tends to 'linger' well past cleanings. I STRONGLY suggest you get a bag of the aforementioned litter in your post. I am a cat litterbox freak and will tell you that it has no equal. It completely kills about 90% of the smells I used to get from the Tidy Cats, _(insert your favorite Petsmart cat litter here)_, etc. brands. Let me know how it goes.